30-Day Spiritual Exercises
“For it is not knowing much, but realizing and relishing things interiorly, that contents and satisfies the soul.”
~St. Ignatius of Loyola
The Exercises are a proven school of prayer and discernment and are a type of map for the human heart to follow in prayerful meditation and contemplation. To follow these exercises brings one into intimate contact with the risen presence of Jesus Christ who reveals the Father of all mercy and consolation. The entire retreat is conducted in silence and solitude and is well-suited to a person who has:
- made one or more individually directed, silent, Ignatian retreats (five to eight days);
- a habit of daily contemplative prayer; and
- recently experienced ongoing spiritual direction, which demonstrates their ability to articulate their experience of prayer and the trust to share it with another.
What to expect
To actually experience The Spiritual Exercises, one must follow the guidance of a spiritual director who provides guidelines for a deeper encounter with God at work amid the inter-dynamic of human desiring. In the 30-day format the retreatant prays four to five hours daily, meets with their spiritual director for an hour each day, and generally remains in silence during all other times.
Those who come to WVIS to make a 30-day Ignatian Retreat can choose to stay in the retreat house ($3,000*) which offers a private room and shared bath. Or you may choose to stay at the Hermitage which is a private suite located on the retreat house property ($3,500*).
Both the retreat house and the Hermitage offer a place of peace and refuge. When you come to WVIS for your retreat, the following are provided:
- All meals and linens (You are asked to inform the staff of food allergies.)
- Art supplies including watercolor, acrylic paints, colored pencils, clay molding, cutting, pasting, drawing, etc.
- Wi-Fi Access
*Please note that if you are a member of a religious community, WVIS accepts as an offering the amount that the community provides. This offering includes the program fee and basic living expenses. Not included in the fee are personal expenses such as medication, food or snacks not provided by WVIS, laundry, postage, personal phone calls, and transportation.
Reserve your spot:
To make the 30-Day Spiritual Exercises at WVIS, you are asked to:
- Submit Retreat Application Form – Click the button below to download
- Submit two (2) Letters of Recommendation acknowledging your readiness to make the 30-Day Exercise – Click the button below to download
Questions: If you have any questions about making a silent directed retreat, please call at 304.345.0926 or email email@example.com.